Followers

Click on photos to enlarge.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Requiem for a daffodil

Hello, friends.

Today is a sad day.  OK, put your mind at rest, it's not THAT sad.  Well, not for anyone but the daffodils blooming in my garden.

Let me start by saying that I'd love to have a card today, and I DID manage to make one that took two days to put together because of the little one that seems to take up so much of my time, but it's for an upcoming DT assignment and as such can't be posted yet.  And the one I make tomorrow will be for another assignment and not to be posted right away, either.  So I AM working and crafting, just not enough to have extras for the blog for now.  Therefore, I will share the flowercide that's going on in my garden.


As I was sitting in the garden yesterday in the crisp, cool air (watching the little one and trying to not let her bite my feet as puppies are wont to do), I noticed my daffodils are starting to bloom.  Hooray!  Spring is finally on its way!  (The pansies bloomed all through winter as long as the wild rabbits left them alone.)  So as my eyes wandered around the garden, what did they spy but disaster!!  

My one white daff with the orange trumpet, the earliest of the lot, was lying forlornly on the ground.  Actually, just the bloom itself was lying there, crushed and mangled, while the naked stalk was swaying in the breeze a few feet away.  I didn't have the heart to snap a pic of it, it was that pitiful.  (Forgive the overexposure of the pic, the sun was at its zenith.)

And who was the responsible party for this one-blossom devastation (with more to come, no doubt)?


And to think we named her Sweetie.  OK, it should be against the law to be this cute.  But that being said, I'm not holding out much hope for the remaining white, plus the yellow, daffs.  I suspect she just hasn't noticed them yet.

Thank you for joining me today.  I'll be in mourning tomorrow as I wait for more evidence of the blooms I'm NOT going to get to enjoy this year.  Thank goodness there's always next year...

Happy crafting!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

Sorry about your daffodil :( this is when it's helpful to be so darned cute!

Misty's said...

Hi Shea
Your garden is blooming gorgeously. I have probably only 2 crocuses blooming so far in our front garden and luckily enough the only enemy to my blooms is the weather.
Sweetie looks like butter would not melt (LOL).
Michaela xx

Kristie Goulet said...

I love your flowers Shea, we are still blanketed in snow and more expected tonight into tomorrow. :( Sorry about your daffodil. Sweetie is too stinkin' adorable! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Miss you on SN! Mwah!!

Unknown said...

ROFL, It's impossible to stay mad at them when they are so sweet, loving and darn cute! I know, I have three. last year the made a mess of my garden so I had to replant. Now they are not allowed in my back yard! My daff's are blooming too and it's heaven!

Cheri said...

Peaceful! tfs

Annie C said...

And here we are on March 8th with at least 8" of snow newly fallen. My iris had started to pop up next to the house, so we'll see if they made it through this storm... Sweetie is a cutie-pie!