Followers

Click on photos to enlarge.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Easter Greetings with Gecko Galz

Hello!

Today's project is one that I'm entering over at the Gecko Galz blog, something that I've long planned to enter but somehow never did.  WELL.  That's all changed now.  Why?  Because just a few days ago I returned from the FANTABULOUS, mind-boggling, craft-laden, prize-heavy, idea-filled, rootin' tootin' Cowgirl Diva retreat!  (That's us, some with cowgirl hats for the contest, some without.  Next year's theme is completely different.)


I'm pretty new to the whole retreat business having only attended one before this and was pretty much the wet-behind-the-ears newbie in awe of all the talent the seasoned veterans who attended displayed.  WOW.  And...WOW again.  In between all the wonderful classes, demonstrations, contests and fun, everyone worked on their own projects.  Well, everyone but me.  I'm so used to crafting by myself that I didn't think I'd be able to work in a room full of women.  HA!  That'll learn me.  My mind drew a complete and total blank even though I toted a cart full of supplies, but I vowed that next year would be different.  I'm taking TWO carts full and will be more prepared to craft with the best of them!  Not that taking tons of supplies is a guarantee of artistic creation, because my good cyber friend Heather Hudson, the uber talented creator of My Artistic Adventures for whom I've been guest designing lately and who I finally got to meet in person (!!) didn't take ANYTHING and created the most wonderful little album using borrowed supplies and the gift pack given to us on the first day.  And she won a prize!  Now THAT'S talent to make a prize-winning piece of art out of just a few things.


At any rate, all that to say I've been newly inspired to create with the wonderfully vintage and retro images that Leanne Seed sells at Gecko Galz.  I've been purchasing her collage sheets and digital stamps and papers for well over a year and was using them in my projects but hadn't entered any of her challenges.  So this is the first but by no means the last for me.  The theme is Easter, and I have used several of her images.  (I will show them below.)



 It is a mixed media collage on canvas board and was one of those projects that took on a life of its own.  I started out by coloring the canvas with various soft Neocolors and decoupaged it with tissue that I stamped with music.  Then I stamped swirls using black archival ink.  And now most of it is hidden, but you can see little bits here and there.  The paper layer is from the Moments in Time paper pack (a retreat gift) and I've distressed it (a LOT) and folded a corner over to reveal the postcard from the Wild About Flowers set.  The real image is much, much brighter but I desaturated it so that it wouldn't detract from the focal point of the project.



I used one of the images from the Easter Bonnets collage sheets - isn't she lovely?  I adhered the image to a piece of grungeboard and then brushed clear crackle paint on top to give her the look of an old oil painting.  The frame is from the Frames set.  I used Photoshop to adjust the size to fit the "painting," then cut out the center, embellished the inner edges with bronze glitter glue and popped the frame up on the image to give it more dimension, then I popped the whole thing up on the base for even MORE dimension.

BTW, the lace up the side was white but I used Neocolors to help it coordinate with the piece.  Pearls were added as well.


 Here's a better view of the crackled layer.



I LOVED putting this floral arrangement together with a big black paper flourish underneath.  The blue rose is my last from the bag of goodies we were given at the retreat and the rest of the flowers are from my stash, some of which I painted with shimmer paints.  I included two bows using custom dyed ribbon and some die cut leaves which I also enhanced with shimmer paints.



And what's an Easter project without bunnikins?  He's from the newly-released Hip Hop Easter collection and I fussy cut him and then enhanced him with various tints of glitter glue and some Glossy Accents on his eye before popping him up for dimension. 



 A close up of the enhanced leaves...



...and the greeting, which was printed on tissue paper and then decoupaged onto the postcard.

I will also be entering this challenge over at Craft Hoarder's Anonymous Challenge #3, the theme of which is Retro/Vintage. 

And that's it!  Thanks so much for joining me and I urge you to RUN over to Gecko Galz and check out the many delightful offerings.  I noticed just today that there are many new collage sheets, so I'll be running there too!  And don't forget to enter the challenge.  You only need to use ONE GG product, and they can be any of the freebies that Leanne so generously offers every month.  Just check the home page at the lower left and you'll find them.  See you there, and happy crafting!

P.S.  This piece is for sale in my Etsy shop!



And now for a couple more pictures...

Heather Hudson and me with our gift packs


Heather of My Artistic Adventures, and Leanne, the genius behind Gecko Galz!


Gecko Galz materials used:








 

18 comments:

Paperesse said...

Awesome, awesome, awesomely (is that a word?)BEAUTIFUL!!! And thanks so much for sharing pictures of the retreat. And it's so nice to see a photo of you too! I like you in glasses, so pretty!

Unknown said...

So cool. The flower clusters are fantastic but I am in love with the bunny peeking out.
Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

lost coast scrapper said...

Gorgeous vintage work..I love the crackle on the painting!! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders!

Gloria Stengel said...

First, no way! You got to play with Heather??? I want to go on retreat with y'all! I am green with envy! I am so happy you had fun! I leave on Thursday for my scrappy retreat with the "Palomar Mountain Gang" which is our unofficial name, but I love it as we sound like a gang of bank robbers! hee hee Anyway....love this card....every bit of it, but esp. that bunny peeking out of the flowers!!! Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Jan Marie said...

So lucious! Love the rich detail and the shimmer. . .like one of those beautiful sugar Easter Eggs! Lovely work! Thanks for joining us and sharing your style at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

What a beautiful card and a lovely technique. I enjoyed hearing about your weekend. I've never done a craft retreat, either...sounds like fun! Thanks for playing along in Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge #3: Vintage or Retro!

Amber Milone said...

This is so pretty! I love love love the flowers and the crackling on your picture. Thanks for joining us at CHACB!

Tammi said...

What a nice project!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Craft Hoarders!!

Leah said...

Hi Shea!! Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and your sweet comments. It was so nice to hear from you! What a fun time that looks like! I've never been on a craft retreat, sounds like a lot of fun. Your mixed media canvas is gorgeous! Love the crackled effect and the little bunny stole my heart :)

Kristie Goulet said...

I have been wondering how your retreat went?! Looks like you had a grand time. :) Your project is just amazing! I am always in awe of your projects. They are works of art. I admire each and every one. Mwah! I can't wait for our retreat next month! YAY!!!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Okay, wow, wow and wow!

First, I've never been on a craft retreat either. They do seem like fun, but I've never bitten the bullet. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself! Love seeing all those cowgirl hats. ;)

Second, your art piece is amazing! The vintage gal looks like Holly Golightly (aka Audrey Hepburn). The frame is AMAZING!

And last, the lineup of Gecko Galz images are awe-inspiring. I didn't realize how many beautiful things they offer.

creative lady said...

Thanks for sharing your pics from your retreat. Your art project is beautiful....love everything about it! Thanks for playing along with Craft Hoarders Anonymous.

Glenda said...

I have never been to a retreat but it sounds like such fun! Love your creation especially the little bunny peeping out of the flowers...also love the image you used. Well done! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Wendy said...

Shea...what a beautiful canvas you have created. I'm glad you had fun at the gecko galz retreat. It looks like you learned a lot of neat tricks. Thanks for entering the GECKO GALZ Easter Challenge.
Wendy, DT.

Anonymous said...

This is such a pretty project. So many details...a feast for the eyes! Thank so much for playing along with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog.....I hope you come back and play again soon! Ginny from Polly's Paper : )

Heather North said...

You have such a gift for mixed media collage. I'm in awe of your creations.

Pammejo said...

Lovely canvas Shea, just love all the details...thanks so much for playing along with us on the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog.

Heather said...

Here I am finally visiting your post that has the photos of me in it...thank goodness you went and photo shopped me and made me soooo much bigger than I am in real life....:0) I hate all the compliments I get about being sooo skinny and in great shape....lol. I had the BEST time Ever...and am looking forward to next year!! What a blast!! You are sooo stinking cute with your long red hair!!
Hugs
Heather