Followers

Click on photos to enlarge.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Winged Sentiment - Challenge Day at Digi Darla's

Hello! 

It's time for another challenge over at Digi Darla's Challenges, and this week's theme is Challenge #59 - Earth Day, which requires at least one thing recycled on your project.  One winner will receive 5 Digi Darla images, and any entries using a DD image get entered into a SECOND drawing for 3 images, so you could conceivably win 8, yes, eight Digi Darla images!  It's happened before!
If you use a Digi Darla image, make sure after you link up to add DD with your name so we won't miss you!  

You have until April 27, 9:00 PM EST, to link up to the Digi Darla website.

My card today is using wings again.  I guess I'm in a "things with wings" kind of mood lately.  The DD image is actually a sentiment, "Good Friends Are Like Angels," which you can find here.  Sometimes I don't want an image so much as I want to just say something, albeit with a bit of decoration.  (A bit?)

My recycled item is the large pink and white flower, for which I used a piece of cardboard from a shipping box, and said box contained craft supplies.  Fitting, right?  I should have taken pictures, but I think we all know what corrugated cardboard looks like.  I first dry brushed it with white acrylic paint, then dry brushed it again with pink, then when that was dry I ran it through the Big Shot to flatten it before die cutting the shapes.

 
Here's a closeup showing the flower with the rhinestone brad in the middle and some of the hand dyed flowers surrounding it, plus a little of the tulle that's behind it.



And here's a close up showing the rest of the flowers.  I colored white and tan flowers with Copics and alcohol as one would use watercolors, dipping the brush in alcohol, then in some Copics ink that was smeared on an acrylic block.  The colorful edges were done with Copics dabbed on afterwards.  Perfect Pearls comprise their centers.  

And here you also get a close up of some more of the wonderful, hand made lace that I recently bought at an antiques shop.  I probably bought 6 or 8 different kinds which you will be seeing in many, many upcoming projects.  The lady who made them had no idea how far and wide her lovely laces would travel!

Here you can see the two dp's which I stamped with coordinating inks and also DI in the opposing corners.  Gives the dp a little more depth.  And see that wonderful leafy ribbon?  That comes from Really Reasonable Ribbon, as do the green ribbons behind the main flower.

 
The "image" was colored with Copics, sponged with distress inks, and layered atop the wings.

And that, my friends, is my little card today.  I'm not really sure how I'm going to mail it as I don't have any plastic card boxes big enough.  I guess it'll get very special packing.

Thank you for taking the time to join me today, and do visit the Digi Darla challenge to see what the other DT has come up with, then do play along with us, won't you?  We'd love to see you! 

Happy crafting!



Challenges entered:

Tuesday Throwdown #143 - Focus on the Sentiment
Creative Card Crew #34 - Handmade Flowers
Frilly and Funkie - Upcycle for Earth Day
Inky Impressions #105 - Punches/Dies
Crafty Ribbons #43 - Pink and Green
Allsorts #203 - A Passion for Flowers
Fussy and Fancy #87 - Vintage

Pile It On #16 - Budding Color Inspiration


19 comments:

Migdalia said...

just GORGEOUS!!
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia
♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥

Kristie Goulet said...

Yet another work of art, Shea! Love reading your detailed descriptions on each of your cards. Makes it feel like I am sitting right there beside you and you are showing me your card. Mwah!

Sue said...

My goodness Shea, this is stunning. I love the sentiment with all your gorgeous embellishments surrounding it and that wonderful lace.
hugs Sue xx

brenda said...

So many lovely flowers Shea just perfect for this weeks theme.

Thanks so much for joining in my 'Passion for Flowers' them at Allsorts this week.

B x

Wendy L said...

So pretty and great flowers, thanks for joining our challenge at Allsorts this week, xxx

Donna Mosley said...

Beautiful card Shea, love the pretty design & details.

Donna x

Elizabeth Hart said...

I cannot believe that the pretty pink flower used to be cardboard - fabulous. Thanks so much for joining us this week at the Pile it On Challenge.

Angelique said...

Wowie. Love the colours and papers. The flowers are stunning.
Thank you for joining us at Creative Card Crew

Huggsss,Angelique
EngelDesignsScrap

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is so pretty - the flowers are just gorgeous and I really like the wings and the overall frilly vintage feel to your piece. Thanks so much for joining in the upcycling fun with us this time at Frilly and Funkie!

Unknown said...

Wow -this is sooo cool! Love the flowers & wings. Thanks for joining us at Creative Card Crew!

Unknown said...

Fabulous card! I love your corrugated cardboard flower - I'll have to try that sometime!

Thank you for joining the challenge at the Creative Card Crew!

Sheena
xxx

Decosse's Dynamite Doodles said...

What a neat card. I love how you created that flower out of cardboard. You ALWAYS put so much effort into your cards. That is probably why there are always so fabulous. Also, love how you coloured up the rest of the flowers too. I always learn so much from you. Now I just have to remember it all.

Hugs,
Lisa

Guild Master Crystal said...

Gorgeous card! I love all your handmade flowers.
Thanks for joining us at Creative Card Crew.
~ Crystal (DT)

Anonymous said...

Another fabulous card ! Lovely Spring colours and the wings are wonderful ! Thanks again for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Unknown said...

Stunning card & flower. Love the image you have used.Thanks you for joining us at Creative Card Crew on our handmade flower challenge hugs Tania DT xx

Terry said...

Wowzerss very pretty made, lovely colours and the flowers and wings are just great, thanksss for sharing another project with the DT from Frilly and Funkie Hugs Terry xxxx

Heather said...

Beautiful!! Love the wings on your sentiment...lovely!! Love all your layers too! Beautiful colors!!
Hugs
Heather

Jo Rice said...

Beautiful Shea, and perfect for our vintage theme. Thank you for joining us at Fussy and Fancy Friday Challenge blog. Jo. X

Donna Gibson said...

Another great project! So colorful and loaded with details! Thanks for playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie!